Monday, September 10, 2007

Smells like Oscar popcorn

My film blog has been shamefully lagging for the past month. I had written only about 3 articles and the first one I wrote this month is on The Bourne Ultimatum (The Lookout and Knocked Up on pending mode), the last movie I saw, which was like ages already. In the States, usually after summer, the most exciting of the season ensues contrary to the popular but understandable commercial period of summer blockbies. It is also the time when prestigious film festivals start handing out accolades, and this early, forecast what we will expect come next few months.

So after thorough sifting here’s the top five films I look forward to watching (and no, despite the early hype and looking all so Oscarly dolled up, no Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise):

Lust, Caution by Ang Lee. This just won Golden Lion, the top trophy in the recently concluded Venice Film Festival. And though it stirred mixed reactions on its supposed worthiness towards the other top contenders, I just couldn’t resist that trademark Ang Lee. This Chinese-language film is a tempting espionage set in 1920-something China. Tony Leung is forceful than ever and Lee introduces the serene and beautiful Tang Wei.

I’m Not There by Todd Haynes. This is the other film I was talking about who has kept critics saying in the top tier as Lust, Caution. Who wouldn’t? This is a courageous conceptual biopic of Bob Dylan, supposedly the only one he seems to agree to. I’m particularly excited about Cate Blanchett (who just won Best Actress in the same festival) who plays Dylan in one of the artist’s musical periods. Haynes is one of the directors I haven’t seen. Velvet Goldmine, prepare to be scratched.

Margot at the Wedding by Noah Baumbach. I have yet to see Kicking and Screaming but The Squid and the Whale just did it for me. I’m going to watch this because Noah Baumbach is one hell of a writer and his semi-autobiographical funny take on divorce is one of the best of 2004. I can’t wait for Nicole Kidman and Jack Black in an indie and Jennifer Jason Leigh is long overdue for a nod.

3:10 to Yuma by James Mangold. I was tempted to put Rescue Dawn by Werner Herzog because I really picked this one because I felt this would be the year for Christian Bale. But something about 3:10 to Yuma is so appealing that I would like to see it more than the former. An early review looks promising and the Crowe-Bale tandem is a tour-de-force. This is a remake of a 1957 classic based on an Elmore Leonard short and if the film lives up to its hype come awards season, I have a feeling that it will be this year’s The Departed.

There Will be Blood by Paul Thomas Anderson. Boogie Nights and Magnolia are among my favorite movies and both are of the same director. PTA is one of the youngest talented directors around and what makes this film exciting is the fact that it’s a totally new genre for him and he is not working on an ensemble. Moreover, he adapts the screenplay from a Sinclair novel titled “Oil”. Daniel Day Lewis is inevitable but besides PTA, I’m excited about this because Paul Dano is so good in the trailer that I actually forgot his name.

Atonement by Joe Wright. I’m so looking forward to this one that I’m reading the book now by Ian McEwan. Everything in the trailer looks like it’s headed for Oscar. Even Keira Knightley is staggering despite being unbelievably thin and I’m sensing a James McAvoy mania right now. If last year, Children of Men has the famous cinematographic moment in 2006 film history, this year, by the looks and raves of it, Atonement has it for the running.


My runners up include two favorites at this year's Sundance: Grace is Gone by James C. Strouse. Something about this film is so strikingly orginal. One of the big winners in this year's Sundance, Grace is Gone tells the story of a father and family who copes with the death of the mother, who is a military official, in the Iraq war. John Cusack's performance looks Oscarrific. The Savages by Tamara Jenkins has Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney playing as siblings attending to their dying father (the trailer is so funny that I shouldn't dismiss this one). Other notables include the Coen brothers' No Country for Old Men and Julie Taymor's Across the Universe.

Will link up the trailers as soon as I can and possibly add up some if I've seen enough trailers.

2 comments:

Jap said...

Strange coincidence? The last words on this post, Across the Universe, flows smoothly to your previous post hehehe

Anyway, I read that Ang Lee was actually booed on stage when he received the award, still, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Keira Knightley can't seem to get out of the corset. She's basically the new Emma Thompson. Atonement looks intense though.

If I'm going to watch 3:10 it will be because of Christian Bale. I don't like Russel and the only cowboy movie that worked for me was Brokeback Mountain.

Thank gawd PTA is doing a movie again. I wish he did a one-artist soundtrack for Blood as well like how he got Aimee Mann for Magnolia. He's one of those directors, like Cameron Crowe, who understands the relationship of film and music (ie Fiona Apple ehhehe and incidentally, she did a cover of Across the Universe too which PTA also directed the video =).

Great line-up, Jay. You're definitely one of the better guys to watch a movie with =)

jayclops said...

OO nga Jap ano. Jeez, I didn't realize that. The strangest of coincidences.

And I may not be a better guy to watch a movie with because I normally do it alone. But you might persuade me someday, especially if it's your treat. Hahahaha. Peace. :p

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f—king big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose a three piece suit on hire purchased in a range of f—king fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f—k you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f—king junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f—ked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin’ else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you’ve got heroin?

Renton, Trainspotting